This webpage is outdated. Please click here or cut and paste this address: http://education.indiana.edu/joelwong/index.php to access the the most recent version of my webpage.
I am a tenured associate professor in the Counseling/Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology programs at Indiana University Bloomington. Our counseling program was ranked the 6th best program in the student counseling & personnel services category by the U.S. News and World Report in 2009 and 2010. I am also an affiliated faculty with the Asian American Studies Program and the Center for Research on Race and Ethnicity in Society. I have taught courses in counseling theories, advanced counseling theories, counseling skills, multicultural counseling, social psychology, and Asian American psychology.
I have authored or co-authored 64 scholarly publications and in-press papers (53 in peer-reviewed journals) which have been cited 671 times. I maintain an H-index of 12. My research interests are in the areas of Asian/Asian American psychology and the psychology of men and masculinities. With regard to Asian/Asian American psychology, my overarching interest is in the relationship between cultural variables and mental health. My recent research projects have focused on suicide-related outcomes among Asian Americans. My students and I have created a website for professionals interested in preventing suicidal behavior in Asian American communties. With respect to the psychology of men and masculinities, my research interests include (a) men's emotional behavior, (b) men's subjective masculinity experiences, (c) men of color, and (d) social psychological and social constructionist perspectives on masculinity.
I also have an interest in positive psychology, especially the psychology of gratitude. I was recently awarded a grant by the Greater Good Science Center (funded by the Templeton Foundation) to study the efficacy of gratitude writing for psychotherapy clients.
Please email me if you want copies of my publications.
In terms of professional service, I am an associate editor with the Psychology and Men and Masculinity and a consulting editor with the Journal of Counseling Psychology. I was the communications officer of the Prevention Section in Division 17 (Counseling Psychology), APA (2008-2010), Co-Editor of The Diversity Factor, the offical newsletter of the Section on Ethnic and Racial Diversity in Division 17 (2009-2011), and a board member of Division 51 (Men and Masculinity, Member-at-Large, 2011-2012).
With regard to my clinical interests, I am interested in strength-based approaches to counseling, gender issues in counseling, counseling with clients from diverse cultural backgrounds, and the treatment of anxiety-related concerns.I am also certified in the use of the 16PF Personality Assessment.
Ph.D. Counseling Psychology, The University of Texas at Austin
- Wong, Y. J., Liu, T. (in press). Dialecticism and mental health: Toward a yin-yang vision of well-being. In J. Spencer-Rodgers K. Peng. (Eds.). Psychological and Cultural Foundations of Dialectical Thinking. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Schwing, A. E., Wong, Y. J. (in press). African American boys and young mens experiences of racism-related stress. In W. Spielberg K. Vaughans (Eds.). The psychology of African American boys and young men. Santa Barbara, CA:Praeger.
- Wong, Y. J., Brownson, C., Rutkowski, L., Nguyen, C. P., Becker, M. (in press). A mediation model of professional psychological help seeking for suicide ideation among Asian American and White American college students. Archives of Suicide Research.
- Maffini, C. P., Wong, Y. J. (in press). Assessing somatization with Asian American clients. In L. Benuto, B. Leany, N. Thaler (Eds.). Guide to psychological assessment with Asians. New York: Springer.
- Wong, Y. J., Kim, B. S. K., Nguyen, C. P., Cheng, J., Saw, A. (2014). The Interpersonal Shame Inventory for Asian Americans: Scale development and psychometric properties.Journal of Counseling Psychology, 61,119-132. doi: 10.1037/a0034681.
- Wong, Y. J., Maffini, C. S., Shin, M. (2014). [Major Contribution] The Racial-Cultural Framework: A framework for addressing suicide-related outcomes in communities of color.The Counseling Psychologist, 42,15-34. doi: 10.1177/0011000012470568
- Wong, Y. J., Wang, K. T., Maffini, C. S. (2014). Asian international students mental health-related outcomes: A person x context cultural framework.The Counseling Psychologist, 42,278305. doi: 10.1177/0011000013482592
- Nguyen, C. P., Wong, Y. J. (2013). The influence of ethnic identity on Asian Americans well-being: A critical review of the literature (pp. 65-76). In E. Nhammer (Ed.). Psychology of well-being: Theory, perspectives and practice. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science.
- Wang, M.-C., Wong, Y. J., Tran, K. K., Nyutu, P. N., Spears, A. (2013). Reasons for living, social support, and Afrocentric worldview: Assessing buffering factors related to Black Americans suicidal behavior. Archives of Suicide Research, 17, 136-147. doi:10.1080/13811118.2013.776454
- Wong, Y. J., Vaughan, E. L., Liu, T., Chang, T. K. (2013). Asian Americans proportion of life in the United States and suicide ideation: The moderating effects of ethnic subgroups. Asian American Journal of Psychology. doi: 10.1037/a0033283
- Shin, M., Wong, Y. J. (2013). Beyond the tiger mom: Asian American parenting and parent-child relationships (pp. 103-122). In P. Barberis S. Petrakis (Eds.). Parenting: Challenges, Practices and Cultural Influences. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science.
- Wong, Y. J., Shea, M., Hickman, S. J., LaFollette, J. R., Cruz, N., Boghokian, T. (2013). The Subjective Masculinity Stress Scale: Scale development and psychometric properties. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 14, 148-155. doi: 10.1037/a0026206
- Wong, Y. J., Horn, A. J., Gomory, A. M. G., Ramos, E. (2013). Measure of Mens Perceived Inexpressiveness Norms (M2PIN): Scale development and psychometric properties.Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 14, 288-299. doi: 10.1037/a0029244
- Lu, A., Wong, Y. J. (2013). Stressful experiences of masculinity among U.S.-born and immigrant Asian American men. Gender and Society, 27, 345-371. doi: 10.1177/0891243213479446
- Wong, Y. J., Horn, A. J., Chen, S. (2013). Perceived masculinity: The potential influence of race, racial essentialist beliefs, and stereotypes. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 14, 452-464. doi: 10.1037/a0030100
- American Psychological Association (2013). Guidelines for the prevention in psychology. American Psychologist. doi: 10.1037/a0034569
- Schwing, A. E., Wong, Y. J., Fann, M. (2013). The development and validation of the African American Mens Gendered Racism Stress Inventory. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 14, 16-25. doi: 10.1037/a0028272
- Li, P., Wong, Y. J., Toth, P. (2013). Asian international students willingness to seek counseling: A mixed-methods study. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, 35, 1-15. doi: 10.1007/s10447-012-9163-7
- Shea, M., Wong, Y. J., Wang, S., Wang, S., Jimenez, V., Hickman, S., LaFollette, J. (2013). Toward a constructionist perspective of examining femininity experience: The development and psychometric properties of the Subjective Femininity Stress Scale. Psychology of Women Quarterly. doi: 0361684313509591.
- Wang, K. T., Wong, Y. J., Fu, C.-C. (2013). Moderation effects of perfectionism and discrimination on interpersonal factors and suicide ideation Journal of Counseling Psychology, 60, 367-378.doi:10.1037/a0032551
- Kratz, L. M., Vaughan, E. L., Wong, Y. J. (2013). Health behaviors among pregnant women: The influence of social support (pp. 109-122). In S. Chen (Ed.). Social support: Theory, role of gender and culture and health. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science.
- Wong, A., Wong, Y. J., Obeng, C. (2012). An untold story: A qualitative study of Asian American family strengths. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 3, 286298. doi: 10.1037/a0025553
- Maffini, C. S., Wong, Y. J. (2012). Psychology of biculturalism (pp. 87-104). In G. R. Hayes M. H. Bryant (Eds.). Psychology of Culture. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science.
- Steinfeldt, J. A., Foltz, B. D., LaFollette, J. R., White, M. R., Wong, Y. J., Steinfeldt, M. C. (2012). Perspectives of social justice activists: Advocating against Native-themed mascots, nicknames, and logos. The Counseling Psychologist,40,326-362. doi: 10.1177/0011000011411736
- Wong, Y. J., Nguyen, C. P., Wang, S.-Y., Chen, W., Steinfeldt, J. A., Kim, B. S. K. (2012). A latent profile analysis of Asian American mens and womens adherence to cultural values. Cultural Diversity Ethnic Minority Psychology, 18, 258-267. doi: 10.1037/a0028423
- Shea, M., Wong, Y. J. (2012). Femininity and womens psychological well-being. In P. Lundberg-Love, K. L., Nadal, M. A. Paludi. (Eds.). Women and Mental Disorders (pp. 17-36). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger Publishers.
- Wong, Y. J., Owen, J., Tran, K. K., Collins, D. L., Higgins, C. E. (2012). Asian American male college students perceptions of peoples stereotypes about Asian American men. Psychology of Men Masculinity, 13, 75-88. doi:10.1037/a0022800
- Romano, J., Koch, J., Wong, Y. J. (2012). Prevention in counseling psychology: Promoting education, health, and well-being across the life cycle (pp. 345-367). In Fouad, N. L. Subich (Eds.), Handbook of Counseling Psychology. Washington D.C.: APA Books.
- Wong, Y. J., Owen, J., Shea, M. (2012). A latent class regression analysis of mens conformity to masculine norms and psychological distress. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 59, 176-183. doi: 10.1037/a0026206
- Wong, Y. J., Uhm, S. Y., Li, P. (2012). Asian Americans family cohesion and suicide ideation: Moderating and mediating effects. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 82, 309-318. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-0025.2012.01170.x
- Tsai, P.- C., Wong, Y. J. (2012) Chinese and Taiwanese international college students participation in social organizations. Journal of College Counseling, 15, 144-156.
- Wong, Y. J., Horn, A. J., Gomory, A. M. G., Ramos, E. (2012). Measure of Mens Perceived Inexpressiveness Norms (M2PIN): Scale development and psychometric properties.Psychology of Men and Masculinity. doi: 10.1037/a0029244
- Levant, R. F, Wong, Y. J. (2012). Race and gender as moderators of the relationship between the endorsement of traditional masculinity ideology and alexithymia: An intersectional perspective. Psychology of Men and Masculinity. doi: 10.1037/a0029551
- Wong, Y. J., Steinfeldt, J. A., LaFollette, J. R., Tsao, S.-C. (2011). Mens tears: Football players evaluations of crying behavior. Psychology of Men Masculinity, 12, 297-310.doi: 10.1037/a0020576
- Steinfeldt, J. A., Foltz, B. D., Mungro, J., Speight, Q. L., Wong, Y. J., Blumberg, J. (2011). Masculinity socialization in sports: Influence of college football coaches. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 12, 247-259.doi: 10.1037/a0020170
- Leong, F. T. L., Leach, M. M., Wong, Y. J. (2011). Suicide among Asian and Pacific Islander American youth. In F. T. L. Leong, L. Juang, D. B. Qin, H. E. Fitzgerald (Eds.), Asian American and Pacific Islander Children and Mental Health, Volume 2: Prevention and Treatment (pp. 53-71). Santa Barbara: Praeger.
- Wong, Y. J., Maffini, C. S. (2011). Predictors of Asian American adolescents suicide attempts: A latent class regression analysis.Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40, 14531464. doi: 10.1007/s10964-011-9701-3
- Wong, Y. J., Brownson, C., Schwing, A. E. (2011). Risk and protective factors associated with Asian American students suicidal ideation: A multi-campus, national study. Journal of College Student Development, 52, 396-408.
- Wong, Y. J., Ho, R. M., Li, P., Shin, M., Tsai, P.-C. (2011). Chinese Singaporeans lay beliefs, adherence to Asian values, and subjective well-being. Personality and Individual Differences, 50, 822-827. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2011.01.003
- Maffini, C. S., Wong, Y. J., Shin, M. (2011). The potential impact of violent victimization on somatic symptoms among Asian American adolescents: A national, longitudinal study. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 2, 157-167. doi: 10.1037/a0024920
- Wong, Y. J., Koo, K., Tran, K. K., Chiu, Y.-C., Mok, Y. (2011). Asian American college students suicide ideation: A mixed-methods study. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 58, 197-209.doi: 10.1037/a0023040
- Wong, Y. J., Tran, K. K., Schwing, A. E., Cao, L. H., Ho, P. P.-H., Nguyen, Q.-T. (2011). Vietnamese American immigrant parents: A pilot parenting intervention. The Family Journal, 19, 314 321.doi: 10.1177/1066480711406697
- Schwing, A. E., LaFollette, J. R., Steinfeldt, J. A., Wong, Y. J. (2011). Novice counselors conceptualizations and experiences of therapeutic relationships. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, 33, 51-63. doi 10.1007/s10447-010-9112-2
- Steinfeldt, J. A., Wong, Y. J., Hagen, A., Hoag, J., Steinfeldt, M. C. (2011). A contextual examination of gender role conflict among college football players. Psychology of Men Masculinity, 4, 311-323. doi: 10.1037/a0023722
- Wong, Y. J., Shea, M., LaFollette, J. R., Hickman, S. J., Cruz, N., Boghokian, T. (2011). The Inventory of Subjective Masculinity Experiences: Development and psychometric properties.Journal of Mens Studies, 19, 236-255. doi: 10.3149/jms.1903.236
- Kim, B. S. K., Wong, Y. J., Maffini, C. S. (2010). Annual review of Asian American psychology, 2009. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 1, 227-260.
- Wong, Y. J., Poon, M.-L. (2010). Counseling Asian American men who demonstrate suicidal behavior. In W. M. Liu, D. Iwamoto, M. Chae (Eds.), Culturally responsive counseling with Asian American men.(pp. 279-298). New York: Routledge.
- Owen, J., Wong, Y. J., Rodolfa, E. (2010). The relationship between clients conformity to masculine norms and their perceptions of helpful therapist actions. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 57, 68-78.
- Steinfeldt, J. A., Wong, Y. J. (2010). Multicultural training on American Indian issues: Testing the effectiveness of an intervention to change attitudes toward Native-themed mascots. Cultural Diversity Ethnic Minority Psychology, 16, 110-115.
- Wong, Y. J., Tran, K. K., Kim, S. H., Van Horn Kerne, V., Calfa, N. A. (2010). Asian Americans lay beliefs about depression. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 66, 317-332.
- Wong, Y. J., Steinfeldt, J. A., Speight, Q. L., Hickman, S. J. (2010). Content analysis of Psychology of Men Masculinity (2000 - 2008). Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 11, 170-181.
- Wong, Y. J., Kim, S. H., Tran, K. K. (2010). Asian Americans adherence to Asian values, attributions about depression, and coping strategies. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 16, 1-8.
- Wong, Y. J. (2009). Open Source. In S. J. Lopez (Eds.), The Encyclopedia of Positive Psychology (pp. 651-654). Boston, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Owen, J., Wong, Y. J., Rodolfa, E. (2009). Empirical search for gender competence in psychotherapy. Psychotherapy, 46, 448-458.
- Wong, Y. J., Tran, K., Lai, A. (2009). Associations among Asian Americans enculturation, emotional experiences, and depressive symptoms. Journal of Multicultural Counseling Development, 37, 105-116.
- Wong, Y. J., Rochlen, A. B. (2009). The potential benefits of expressive writing for male college students with varying degrees of restrictive emotionality. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 10, 149-159.
- Wong, Y. J., Rochlen, A. B. (2008). Re-envisioning mens emotional lives: Stereotypes, struggles, and strengths. In S. J. Lopez (Eds.), Positive psychology: Exploring the best in people. (pp. 149-165).Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Company.
- Rew, L., Wong, Y. J, Torres, R., Howell, E. (2007). Older adolescents perceptions of the social context, impact, and development of their religious/spiritual beliefs and practices. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 30, 55-68.
- Rew, L., Fouladi, R., Land, L., Wong, Y. J. (2007). Outcomes of a brief sexual health intervention for homeless youth. Journal of Health Psychology, 5, 818-832.
- Bonazzo, C., Wong, Y. J. (2007). Japanese international female students experience of discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes. College Student Journal, 41, 631-639.
- Rew, L., Wong, Y. J., Torres, R., Howell, E. (2007). Linguistic investigations of mediators between religious commitment and health behaviors in older adolescents. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 30, 71-86.
- Wong, Y. J., Rew, L., Slaikeu, K. D. (2006). A systematic review of recent research on adolescent religiosity/ spirituality and mental health. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 27, 161-183.
- Wong, Y. J. (2006). Strength-centered therapy: A social constructionist, virtues-based psychotherapy. Psychotherapy, 43, 133-146.
- Rew, L., Wong, Y. J. (2006). A systematic review of associations among religiosity/spirituality and adolescent health attitudes and behaviors, Journal of Adolescent Health, 38, 433-442.
- Wong, Y. J., Pituch, K. A., Rochlen, A. B. (2006). Mens restrictive emotionality: An investigation of associations with other emotion-related constructs, anxiety, and underlying dimensions. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 9, 113-126.
- Wong, Y. J. (2006). The future of positive therapy. Psychotherapy, 43, 151-153.
- Wong, Y. J., Rochlen, A. B. (2005). Demystifying mens emotional behavior: New directions and implications for counseling and research. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 6, 62-72.
- Wong, Y. J., Torres., R. (2005). Research commentary on The Spirituality Scale. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 23, 168-171.
- Rochlen, A. B., Land, L. N., Wong, Y. J. (2004). Male restrictive emotionality and evaluations of online versus face-to-face counseling. Psychology of Men and Masculinity, 5, 190-200.
- Rew, L., Wong, Y. J., Sternglanz, R. W. (2004). The relationship between prayer, health behaviors, and protective resources in school-age children. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 27, 245-255.
- Wong, Y. J. (2003). Harnessing the potential of problem-based learning in legal education. The International Journal of Legal Education, 37, 157-173.
- Predictors of Asian American Adolescents? Suicide Ideation and Attempt: A Longitudinal, Latent Class Regression Analysis ($18,000) ? funded by the Maris M. Proffitt and Mary Higgins Proffitt Endowment Grant at Indiana University in 2010.
- The Use of a Gratitude Writing Intervention With Psychotherapy for Outpatient Clients: Examining Neural Correlates and Psychosocial Mechanisms ($199,998) ? funded by the Greater Good Science Center (Templeton Foundation) in 2012.
- Early Career Award for Distinguished Contributions (2012), Asian American Psychological Association
- Emerging Professional Contributions to Research Award (2013), Society for the Psychology Study of Ethnic Minority Issues (Division 45, APA)
- Researcher of the Year Award (2011), Society for the Psychological Study of Men and Masculinity
Add or update your profile (requires an Indiana University Network Id and password)